Ken Martin’s DNC Autopsy Fight Exposes Party Weakness
The DNC chair tried to bury a draft of Democrats’ 2024 postmortem; releasing it instead has only widened the party’s fight over blame, leadership, and 2026.
The power dynamic is straightforward: Ken Martin controls the DNC, but not the narrative. After months of resisting publication, Martin released the party’s 2024 autopsy on Thursday and then immediately disavowed it, saying the draft “wasn’t ready for primetime” even as he argued that “transparency is paramount,” according to
The Hill. The move did not calm Democrats. It gave them a new target.
The report itself is less important than the damage around it. It is nearly 200 pages, but party officials had wanted to keep it private to avoid internal warfare during the midterms,
The Hill reported. Instead, the delayed release became the story: Martin first promised an autopsy, then held it back, then issued a messy draft with annotations and gaps. That sequence made him look less like a manager protecting the party’s tactical interests and more like a chair losing command of his own operation.
What the autopsy says — and why it stings
The document’s substantive findings are politically awkward because they hit multiple power centers at once. A draft obtained by
The New York Times says the Harris campaign failed to sufficiently separate itself from President Joe Biden, did not build a consistent case against Donald Trump, and was hurt by Trump’s attack ad on transgender issues. It also blames the Biden White House for not positioning Harris for success after Biden dropped out, according to
The New York Times.
That matters because each finding creates a different loser. Biden’s team looks negligent. Harris’s campaign looks unfocused. Party strategists look out of touch on message discipline. And Martin, who entrusted the review to a longtime ally, now owns the embarrassment of a document he has publicly downgraded,
The New York Times reported.
The deeper problem is that the autopsy confirms what Democrats already fear: the party’s 2024 defeat was not a single bad night, but a failure across campaign structure, message, and coordination. CNN’s reporting last month framed Martin’s broader postelection review as part of a larger effort to understand why Democrats spent more than $10 billion and still lost the White House and Congress,
CNN. That context makes the current meltdown more dangerous, not less. If the party cannot even manage the diagnosis, it is unlikely to fix the disease.
Who benefits from the fight
The immediate beneficiaries are Martin’s internal critics and the Democrats already looking toward 2028.
The New York Times reported that some prospective contenders are openly dismayed by the document’s release and by Martin’s handling of it. Former DNC vice chair David Hogg went further in
The Hill, saying the episode is a “demoralizing joke” and arguing Martin has lost confidence among staff, donors, and voters.
That kind of revolt is more than gossip. It weakens Martin’s ability to direct money, messaging, and staff attention toward the 2026 map. It also gives Democrats outside the DNC a reason to question whether the national committee can be the party’s central command at all. For a party already struggling with fundraising and brand weakness, that is a real governance problem, not just a personnel one.
What to watch next
The key question now is whether Martin can turn this from a leadership crisis into a reset. Watch for two things: whether more Democrats publicly call for his resignation, and whether the DNC can pivot back to fundraising and candidate support before the 2026 cycle hardens. If the chair cannot close this episode quickly, the autopsy will stop being a postmortem and start looking like a preview.